Edu 649 week 4 – discussion 1
Ashford 5: – Week 4 – Discussion 1
Our text explains, “The strategic selection of media is based upon the needs of the learners, the desired outcome, and the constraints of the environment, as well as what methods and activities need to be supported.”
Media that is mismatched can be ineffective and impede successful learning. In your discussion, explain which of the following combinations make an effective match and which combinations are mismatched:
- Discussion in a large lecture class
- Real objects for teaching tornado preparedness
- Chalkboard drawings of an aerobic routine
- Overhead transparencies on how to ride a bike
- Black and white documentary video for preschoolers
- Printed visuals for pilot training
- Audio tapes in a graduate-level engineering class
What makes a good match? What is wrong with the mismatches? Where does the mismatch occur?
Next, using the “Media Selection Checklist” (Figure 7-9 in Chapter 7), choose one of the combinations above that are mismatched and recommend effective media for the topic. Explain your choice and provide the principles you will implement to make the use effective and successful.
Your initial response is due by Thursday, Day 3. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Monday, Day 7. Your claims should be supported by assigned readings and/or other academic resources.