Fundamental case study2 | Nursing homework help
Case Study, Chapter 2, Community-Based Nursing Practice
1. Mr. Jones, who is 74 years of age, is being discharged home after having a right knee replacement. The discharge orders from the orthopedic surgeon include: continuous passive motion (CPM) at the current setting of 0-degrees extension worn when walking with crutches (nonweight-bearing postdischarge day 1, and may begin weight-bearing postdischarge day 2); and home nurse visits, as needed. Physical therapy should begin the day after discharge at an orthopedic center. The orders will be faxed to the center. The following medications with prescriptions attached include: Lovenox (enoxaparin) 70 mg subcutaneously once daily for 7 days, Vicodin (hydrocodone bitartrate) 10 mg every 4 hours PRN, and Colace (docusate sodium) 100 mg every day. The patient is to follow up with the orthopedic surgeon in 3 weeks. His daughter plans to stay with him for several weeks to assist him with meals and household chores, and take him to physical therapy and the orthopedic surgeon for follow-up. Mr. Jones has three other children who live in other states. He is a widower and attends a local church. (Learning Objective 4)
- What preparations should the nurse make in advance before attaining necessary community resources and referrals before the patient is discharged?
- What necessary community resources and referrals will the patient need?
2. Mrs. Johnson, a 67-year-old female patient, has recently been discharged from the hospital following an admission for COPD. She has a past medical history of a colon resection related to acute diverticulitis. She developed a surgical wound infection that requires daily wet to dry wound packing and IV Zosyn. Mrs. Johnson was discharged with home oxygen. To manage her care at home, home care visits were ordered. (Learning Objective 5)
- What would be involved in setting up the first home care visit?
- Describe the nursing assessments and management that would occur during the visit.