Read articles and answer questions
Read articles and answer questions.
Please read “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh
1. From the article, what is the definition of ‘white privilege’? What items from her list stood out to you as things you had never thought of before? Can you think of additional examples?
2. What does it mean when she says that she had been trained to mistrust certain people? Who are we trained to see as threats and how are we trained? (some additional research might be necessary to answer this question)
Read this short commentary,
3. Do you agree that the word race can be replaced with class in many of McIntosh’s examples? Why or why not? Have you had difficulty explaining white privilege to people from different race and class backgrounds?
Watch the attached YouTube videos and read the transcript of the talk by Kimberle Crenshaw.
4. What is the definition of intersectionality? Why did Kimberle Crenshaw coin this term? What was the significance of the intersection in her example?
5. Why is #SayHerName important? From the WOW keynote address, what historical examples are given to explain the lack of cognitive frames for conceptualizing violence against black women and girls?
6. What did the “Black Girls Matter: Pushed Out, Overpoliced and Underprotected” report find when it examined disciple in public schools? Why is this significant given the focus on young black men often found in the public discourse around racial inequality?